Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Longevity


 I stumbled onto a list of only 5 things (count ‘em - only 5) things that one needs to do to increase longevity. Now, I’m unsure about the need to increase longevity, but I gave the list a once-over. After all, it was for only 5 things and it specifically omitted the obvious: diet, exercise, cut down on sugary snacks, and control stress.

Here they are:

    1. Engage in a hobby (I have this one covered. Facebook surely must count).

    2. Go on a vacation (I’m willing.)

    3. Sleep in on the weekends (Should weekends really be different?)

    4. Connect with other people (Again with the Facebook thing.)

    5. Floss your teeth (keep reading)

I could pretty much understand the psychology behind 1 through 4, and # 5 made good sense but I had no idea that gingivitis and periodontal disease could lead to a 23 to 46 percent higher rate of death. Hmmm. So if this is the case I decided to go on step further and make an appointment to see my dentist.  Reading this bit of wisdom and the fact that I had just chipped a tooth got me moving a little quicker to get an appointment. Dental appointments are not a treat for me.

So, last week I was all settled into the dentist’s chair all decked out with the little bib thing they hang on you. I off handedly asked the dentist, Rich Bailey, DMD if he had seen the Bill Cosby routine about going to the dentist. He assured me that it was required in dental school. Dr. Bailey is so young–I was surprised he even knew who Bill Cosby is. (I should have asked him if he remembered I Spy, Bill’s first TV show). Anyway, my dental appointment was much less painful and stressful because of the Bill Cosby discussion and Dr. Bailey’s occasional imitation of one of the Cosby Kids.

A couple hours later I ventured off to yet another appointment. Feeling the need to explain why I was talking like I had just downed a quart of vodka I explained that I had just been to see Dr. Bailey. That’s when I found out that Dr. Bailey was indeed the creator of Billy Bob Teeth. Check them out here: http://BillyBobteeth.org.

After having such a good time at the dentist, what with all the fun and laughter, I have decided that the longevity list is one item short. Laughter needs to be added.  That would be laughter. So, remember, if you see or read something remotely funny, especially if I wrote it, for God’s sake, laugh. Out loud. Like your life depends on it. Maybe it does.

Oh…and don’t forget to floss.

No comments: